Sunday, October 08, 2006

Breathtaking trekking!



Today, I went to Nagano to see my friends to trek a low mountain together. It was a beautiful day to hike! Clear sky, moderate temperature and nice wind...

It took one and a half hour to the top. There were some steep part. I was so exhausted when I got to the summit. I promised by myself to start to build up my physical strength!

The view from the summit was indescribably beautiful! I could see Mt. Fuji far away. When I was taking a short rest and looking around the mountain range, I realized again that I get very excited and I love the landscape and beautiful rural scenery.

I was of two minds about my future 4 years ago. To keep doing my job or to quit my job. I was a computer graphic designer of TV program in Tokyo at that time. I felt that I was not suitable person for that job and for the life in Tokyo. I should be always in the forefront of fashion in TV program, but I was not. Even I wasn't interested in following the fashion. And it's too hurry-scurry to live in Tokyo for me.

On the other hand, I was getting interested in a book. The book was written by Michio Hoshino who was a photographer of Alaska. He wrote about caribou migration in the north. At the same time, my dad came down with a brain cell disease.

On occasion an encounter with a single book can change one's life forever.

I thought I should change my lifestyle and do what I really want to do right now. I couldn't wait to do that till retiring age. So, I quit the job and dreamed to travel around the Arctic Circle to see the caribou migration.

I think I made a right decision. I was very lucky, because I could meet many nice local people and go many place which I wanted to go. And, of course, I could find a nice father and son: Dan & Jack in northern Canada. When I was taking a short rest and looking around the mountain range, I remembered the Canadian landscape. And I missed my new family. I was sure I am on the right track !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mariko,is that u with ur fiance????wow!!!!! read about ur life!!! ya surely u took d right decision...i read ur whole blog...ur absolutely right my friend.u should always do what ur mind tells u..il write u more later

Mariko said...

Hello arnav,
thank you for your comment! I'm very happy to receive it.

I think I met you and your family in Nepal more than five years ago,
didn't I?

I really appreciate that you has been in contact with me patiently for a long time. I'm sorry about my rudeness. You guys are amazing! I would like to visit you and your family in your home country, India someday.

Please let me know if you have an opportunity to come to Canada! :-)